This module (part of a series) was developed with content experts in the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene’s Office of School Health. This learning module describes the five steps in conducting an effective asthma assessment.
- Perform an initial visual assessment and differentiate between normal and abnormal presentations;
- Describe a focused history;
- Perform respiratory auscultation assessment, describe various breath sounds and distinguish between normal and abnormal breath sounds;
- Appraise respiratory status and recognize abnormal vital signs;
- Identify asthma triggers;
- Distinguish between controlled and not controlled asthma;
- Determine appropriate clinical disposition.
Council on Linkages Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals (2014 Version)
- Primary Competency Domain: Leadership and Systems Thinking Skills
- Specific competencies:
1A2, 7A3, 8A1, 8A9
Click on the appropriate button to begin.
If you are employed by NYS or a local health department in NYS, we recommend that you register for this course through the NYS Department of Health Learning Management System (DOH LMS).