- Describe vaccine hesitancy/vaccine confidence and why it is an important public health issue
- Define behavioral science
- Apply the Health Belief Model (HBM) to design vaccine messaging
- Describe approaches to using behavioral science to combat misinformation about vaccines and build trust and confidence in vaccines and health care providers
- Explain how these principles apply to current public health challenges that are described in case studies, including flu, COVID, and childhood vaccines
Date: June 30, 2023
This self-paced module course outlines how to confront barriers to vaccine acceptance by creating effective communication using behavioral science, health literacy, and techniques to combat misinformation. It provides an introduction to the key tools from each of those fields, then instructs on the five-step process of developing vaccine communications. It includes case studies to show how these principles have been applied in a real-world setting. This course is appropriate for anyone communicating about vaccination, from healthcare workers in one-on-one communications to public health promotion specialists developing full communication campaigns.